52 Mondays: #12

March 20, 2017

I’m beginning to feel like I’m finally on (sorta) track again. I’ve still got a ways to go and I have to stay conscious about balancing my work and my life. But, last week was an improvement and I’m certainly making some, albeit slight, forward progress.

I went to the gym last Monday and had a pretty tough workout. Given how little I’ve been going, even a “mild” workout is tough. I was mostly pleased with just making it out of work on time. The workout itself was a bonus.

I’ve been working in production a lot for the past week. Tuesday, I spent a good portion of the day in production making a small production batch; what we call a pilot batch; of some test product. These batches are 200 pounds and I move all that material by hand in jugs and buckets. While many of the materials are loaded into the tank in small amounts (i.e. 1-5 pounds or so), there are a few of the materials that are 30-40 pounds or more. I generally move all of the drums around on my own and I carry containers back and forth filling them from production as I need them. It is a lot of work and I get a fairly good workout done when I have these kinds of days.

While I was working on the first batch, I noticed a small leak in the valve on my batch tank. As such, I had to make the batch and then fill it as soon as I was finished. If I had let the tank sit overnight, I might not have had a batch left! So, as soon as the mix was finished, I filled the batch into bottles so that it can ultimately go to customers for testing.

When I work in production, it keeps me away from my desk. This means I quickly get behind on emails, voicemails, and the like. By the time I sat down at my desk, it was nearly 5 PM and I had several emails and voicemails that required some attention. That means I missed the gym again.

I didn’t feel too terribly about missing the gym since I was in production and moving so much during day. I don’t want to miss on Wednesday though.

I worked in production again on Wednesday. I had a better day and managed to get my batch finished and get to my desk at a reasonable time. I even made myself stop working so I could change clothes and head to my trainer. Unfortunately, when I texted him that I was running just a few minutes late, he had to cancel because he injured himself. So, I headed to the gym instead and did a hard hour on the elliptical. It felt glorious to do some hard cardio. Afterwards, I spent about ten minutes stretching.

I split my time on Thursday. I had a small hiccup with my batch from Wednesday so I was in production once again. But, I finished earlier so I was able to spend some time in the lab working on another project. When I headed back to my office, I figured I would work for about an hour and leave around 5:40 to go to the gym. When I looked down, it was 6:50! I don’t even know where the time went!

I felt bad for losing track of time. I had my treadmill run all planned! Instead, I finished what I was doing and headed home.

Friday was a quieter day. I finished the rest of the lab work I wanted to do for the project I had started on Thursday. I spent the rest of the day attacking things on my to-do list. I worked late but I made real progress on a lot of things. I don’t feel completely buried under my project list; I see a little bit of light! This is the crazy time of year for me. Any time we have products in testing, it creates a little bit of chaos. I love it because there’s never a dull moment. But, in the same breath, the craziness can be a lot to balance!

By the time I got home on Friday, I didn’t want to do much of anything. In fact, I was in my pajamas by 8-ish. I managed to get a couple of loads of laundry going before crashing hard when I hit the pillow!

Saturday morning was an early alarm. No one likes an alarm on Saturday. But, I made an appointment to get my hair trimmed and get some touch-up on my color. My stylist is amazing; I’ve been going to her for ages. I have to drive almost an hour to her though. It sucks but she is SO worth it! She does a fantastic job and always makes me hair look incredible…even when I’ve let my roots show badly!

This cut was just a trim and I went back to the same colors I had just before Christmas. My hair is deep plum purple with blond highlights and peacock blue streaks. I think this is my new favorite.


The left picture is from Saturday. The right top and bottom pics were from the first time I got these colors (just before Christmas).

After my hair was finished, I headed back home and finished another load of laundry. Then, I met up with one of my friends so we could go to the Orlando City soccer match. It was an incredible game and OCSC won their second match in their new stadium. My ears were ringing by the time we left because it is SO loud in the stadium!

It was a late night on Saturday so I slept a little later on Sunday. When I finally got out of bed, I threw in the last load of laundry and started working in the kitchen. I made some baked chicken with broccoli and mushrooms to eat for dinner this week and I made some monster cookies to take to work. My coworker is a vegetarian and she doesn’t eat eggs. So, I did some homework and figured out what to use as an egg substitute in the recipe.

Monster cookies are oatmeal and peanut butter cookies with no flour. I use M&M’s and chocolate chips in mine but I’ve seen recipes that use raisins, various kinds of nuts, and other kinds of chips (butterscotch, peanut butter, white chocolate, etc.) as well. They are delicious cookies! Seriously, I don’t care for peanut butter at all and I love these cookies.

I was a bit nervous about the egg substitute changing the texture. The recipe called for three eggs. So, I subbed one egg with ¼ cup of unsweetened apple sauce. For the other two eggs, I used a total of three teaspoons of warm water, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, and three teaspoons of olive oil (because that’s what I had on hand). The cookies turned out so well! I think I may like them even better without the eggs! And, my coworker loved them too!

I also scheduled a massage for Sunday. I’m a member at a massage place and haven’t been using my monthly massages regularly. I need to get in the habit of that because massages are great for your body and your mind. I had a deep tissue massage and my therapist addressed a couple of problem areas that had been bothering me. I felt so much better afterwards and I slept better last night as a result!

It’s Monday again and I made it to the trainer! We started out with the same circuit we did last Monday. We did two rounds of it and then did two rounds of a kettle bell/abs circuit.

Cardio/Abs Circuit

Kettle bell/Abs circuit

30 second interval w/10 second transition

30 second interval w/10 second transition

Jumping Jacks

Kettle bell swing

Standing Knee to Elbow (Alternating)

Push ups


KB Swing



Mountain Climbers

KB Swing

High Plank; Step out-Step in


Plank w/knee tuck

KB Swing

Standing Toe Touches (Alternating)

Side bends

Squat, Squat, Jump

KB Swing

Spiderman Plank

Sit ups

High Knees


Jump Squat


Side Stepping Butt Kicks


Standing Knee to Elbow (Alternating)


Bear Crawls


Plank w/Left Leg Raise


Plank w/Right Leg Raise


In between the two circuits, I hopped on the treadmill and ran a lap at a “comfortable” pace. Nothing is comfortable right now and my pace is so slow from where I once was. I’ve definitely got a lot of work to do to get back to that place

It’s already past my bedtime for tonight. But, I am going to get this done! So here’s the rundown for the week and then I’m off to bed!

The good:

  1. I made it to the trainer and had a good cardio session.
  2. I made cookies for my coworker and didn’t eat all of them! (I love baking!)
  3. I had a very productive week at work

The bad:

  1. Only two gym days
  2. I didn’t go to the grocery store. That said, I’ve only got three work days this week so I’ll commit to making good choices at the deli at work.

The ugly:

  1. Hmmmmm.

Look at that; there wasn’t really anything “ugly” this week. I ate some junk food and logged it all. I didn’t go to the gym everyday but I offset that somewhat with my production work. I didn’t do the best at balancing everything but I made progress from the previous week. Overall, there just isn’t anything that really stuck out as “ugly”. Maybe I should’ve written that in the “good” section!

I need sleep now. Peace out y’all!

Until next Monday…gotta run.


This entry was posted in 52 Mondays, New Blog and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to 52 Mondays: #12

  1. Pingback: 52 Mondays: #13 | Run Brandy, Run!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s